Monday, April 30, 2012

How We Threw a Dino-Mite Birthday Bash


In my last post I mentioned I wanted to share my little monsters birthday bash, so here we go!

My dino-crazy kiddo of course just HAD to have a dinosaur themed birthday party.  I knew she probably would not get any more use out of her awesome costume, so we took the opportunity to get one last day of fun with it.  She helped me create these super cute invitations we printed using card stock and scrap-book paper. 

She hand – er – claw-delivered them to her list of invitees 2 weeks before the big event.  

I was able to involve her in many of the projects in preparation for the party.

1)    Dino-egg piñata – this was a cheap and easy project where we simply used a balloon to create the paper mâché piñata

2)    I used a project board to make a fun dino-scene to take pics of the kids to be delivered with Thank-You cards.  If you do not have drawing skills you can find a similar item on orientaltrading.com where I purchased blow-up dinos, dino grabbers, decorations, stickers, and charms.

3)    I put hubby to work creating a fun volcano centerpiece out of cardboard and paper mâché, and was used to entertain the kids while setting up the other games.

4)  To welcome our guests, I created this fun dino-xing sign and my daughter put her own art skills to use drawing footprints up the driveway.

5)  As the guests arrived they made their own dino fossils, until everyone was ready for games.

6)  Pin-the-horn on Triceratops was simply drawn and created with colored poster board.  Other games included a dino-dig, and a cheese ball relay where 2 teams used their dino-grabbers to move cheese balls from a large bowl to a cup.


7)    Gift bags were made using brown lunch sacks, card stock and scrap-book paper that matched the invitations. The dino patterns were made from free coloring pages found on the internet where we also found fun pteranadon cup-mate patterns.

8)    Goodies included chocolate dino pops (made with candy molds found at the craft store) dino-bone breadsticks, dino-sandwiches (cut with a dino sandwich cutter found in the grocery store), dino chicken nuggets, and a dino-head melon. 

According to my kiddo, it was the “best birthday party ever” which made all the prep-work worth while.

I need to go back and find the links to give credit where I found inspiration/instructions for some of these ideas, but in the mean time if you have any questions on where to find/how to create any of these party items, just send me a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment