Thursday, April 12, 2012

Drowning in Dinos

I completely and utterly feel like I am the only mother (of a girl) who is drowning in dinosaurs!
My brain is drowning in overload of dinosaur facts!  I know more about dinosaurs than I ever cared to know!
  For instance: the longest dinosaur name "Micropachycephallosaurus" belongs to one of the smallest dinosaurs ever discovered, or that the raptor portrayed in the movie Jurassic Park would not have been velociraptor because it was actually only the size of a turkey, so the ferocious meat-eating dino in the movie would have more appropriately been deinonychus.... see what I mean!  drowning.....

Not only is my brain drowning, my home is drowning in dinosaur toys.   Plastic figurines, puzzles, helmet, water can, movies, stuffed dinos...my iphone has dinosaur apps for crying out loud!  drowning....

Her wardrobe includes dino pajamas, dino sneakers, dino t-shirts, and if dinos came on skirts or dresses, she'd probably have those too (which is actually a project I may set out to accomplish).  drowning...

Her birthday was a dinosaur theme, her room is decked out in dino decor.  Both of which I'd love to share very soon.  drowning...

She wishes she could have a pet dinosaur.  She draws dinosaurs daily, and I don't think anyone has received a hand-made card from her that does NOT include a dinosaur drawn on it - even for Christmas, Valentines day and Easter (with bunny ears of course)!  drowning...

She can recite the name of a dinosaur for all but 5 letters of the alphabet.  You can't speak the word "dino" without her perking up and getting excited to know what you're talking about.  She's crazy....

....and I love it.

Her dino craze began over and a holf ago, so I continue to wonder if this is a phase, or if she is a future Ross Gellar a-la "Friends".   It would be interesting to find someone out there with a little girl (or even boy) that loves dinosaurs as much as mine does.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, if our daughters ever got in the same room together, it would be epic! lol I have a four year old who is going on her second year of dino-infatuation. It all started with Dinosaur Train and now she sits through countless hours of documentaries, completely glued to them, soaking up every morsel of information. Her 4th bday party was a dino dig. I, too, feel like I'm swimming in dinosaur stuff! lol Her imaginary friend - a dinosaur of course - goes everywhere, does everything, and gets blamed for things. I have turned many a boys' tee into a dress or girly top for her. Just wanted to drop off a comment - you are most certainly not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for the comment! Yes, it is daily dinos in my home for 2 years here as well. She refuses to leave the library without at least one book on the subject and has taken to googling info on her own to find dino pictures, movies, toys for her wish list, etc. I am likely to be expected to create her yet another dino costume for halloween this year :-)

      Delete
  2. I just commented on your costume post but I'm so happy I came across your blog. My girl is obsessed. Its all we talk about and every week we go to the Natural History Museum and she is in heaven. Sometimes she sits on the floor of the museum and just stares up at the huge dino skeletons. It has all been a huge learning curve for the whole family. For her third birthday last month we had a dino themed party with a fossil hunt. She knows all the species, what time they lived in, what they eat, their specific features and why they have them. I wish we could get all these girls together. I made her a dress for her birthday with dinosaurs. Everything is so boy centered in this world so we have had to create our own, mostly gender neutral.

    Great to read your blog, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! It would be amazing to see how these dino crazy divas would relate. Mine loves the museums too. Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of dinos at ours, but we take every opportunity we can to find neat places to visit that are not too far, or just off-the path of a planned road trip. We have yet another dino themed birthday in store this year - either Dino Dan, or a scavenger hunt through the botanical gardens which is temporarily featuring a dino sculpture exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is 7½ now, and finally the dinosaur-crazy is ebbing out. Instead of the dinos there are now volcanoes, astronomy, history, everything biological, especially insects, and.. and.. and..
    On the + side I've read somewhere, that most really intelligent children are interested in dinosaurs as toddlers/young children, so I've learned to be thankfull for it. Also I am a teacher, and my students think, that I know EVERYTHING, because I constantly correct them, when they say 'longneck' instead of 'argentinosaurus' or spent an hour dissecting the new Jurassic Park movie for flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good news! And I agree! I'm proud that my kiddo is so smart and inquisitive. Science is her favorite subject. She is now 10, and though dinosaurs are not in the forefront of her daily activities & interests, she still loves them and has no intention of changing her Dino room theme at this point and still loves her dinosaur t-shirts. Especially the funny/witty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete